This homemade protein powder recipe is high in fiber, antioxidants, iron, zinc, magnesium, and phosphorus and studies have shown that seeds help to improved cardiovascular, digestive, immune and bone health. Hemp seeds contain all 9 essential amino acids and also 9 grams of protein per ounce. Pumpkin contain 8 grams, sesame 5 grams, and sunflower 6 grams.
Homemade Protein Powder
- Coffee Grinder or Blender
- 1/2 cup raw hemp seeds
- 1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup raw sesame seeds
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- optional: soak seeds overnight and dry (see below).
- grind the seeds individually in a coffee grinder or blender until powdered. I like to use my NutriBullet.
- add each powdered seed into a big bowl and mix thoroughly.
- store in a glass mason jar with a tight fitting lid or an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks.
Soaking Seeds to Remove Phytic Acid
Phytic acid (phytates) is found in raw seeds. It’s purpose is to keep the seed dormant until watered to germinate. There are studies that say it makes the seeds harder to digest and soaking will eliminate any issues you may have with digesting them.
Soaking raw (not roasted, unsalted) nuts & seeds in water overnight will:
- increase their alkaline level
- improve digestion
- increase nutrients
How to Soak & Sprout Nuts, Seeds, Grains, & Beans by Vegetarian Times is a very helpful and informative article.